Saturday 27 June 2020

Weighing in on the current debate

Assuming you've being paying attention, you are probably aware of the somewhat acrimonious goings on involving TMP and TFL of late.

I've dipped my toe in enough to know on which side of the fence I come down, but this isn't about that. Yes, our hobby needs to be inclusive and free from bullying, and I personally want no part of a site which appears to actively promote, condone and practice the latter.

But.

We both have to be better than that, and be seen to be better than that. Both because it hands people ammunition, and because, frankly, we should be better than that. By all means call out bad behaviour when it occurs, but we don't need to resort to personal attacks, directly or indirectly, on members of TMP staff for who they are, nor do we need to make bullying/threatening noises to manufacturers who advertise with them.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee."
 
 

9 comments:

  1. True. Like you I know which side of the fence I'm on, but this is going nowhere good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been paying attention, and have completely missed this, do you have a link?
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the way of the internet and social media I am afriad. Unhealthy escalation is endemic
    On this and other more serious issues I very rarely comment. Nothing I say is going to change anybody's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the massive crying fest on TMP of the editor. I have to say that each time I go on there (very infrequently, perhaps once a year), there is always some kind of melt-down going on. I find it an altogether unpleasant place, with rather horrid critics and many unfair things said by very unknowledgeable people. I really must just stick to Blogger - it is altogether much healthier and much finer people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. I think Rich was right to call out the behaviour and it is also right that people should let companies know that they won’t support them it they support an unacceptable standard. I agree that needs to be done without insults or personal attacks, but there seems also universal agreement the problem exists so to not speak up or act by not supporting TMP is to be part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had absolutely no dog in the fight. I never play TFL games and gave up on TMP a while ago. I did think Rich was over reacting until I witnessed Bill in action. Pruning the posts on Facebook and TMP to suit his version of events. The chap really is a Snowflake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also gave up TMP some time ago, never looked back. SO I have no clue what this is about. Perhaps this is a good thing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found the whole episode most dismaying and that includes dismay and surprise at the number of people who seem to have been happy to join in and snipe from the sidelines. I played a wargame today.

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...