Wednesday 3 April 2019

Battle Report - 31 May 2019 - "Operation Herkules" - Battlegroup

Ok - continuing to catch up on Hobby Streak posts.

No, this is not the Met Police operation but the aborted German invasion of Malta in 1942.

Run by Will using PSC's Battlegroup rules (largely Battlegroup: Tobruk on top of the core rules) and some lovely 20mm figures. Essentially this was phase 2, phase 1 having happened on the Saturday when the Germans successfully managed to drop a bunch of Fallschirmjäger on the airfield.

There was a two-pronged attack by combined German and Italian forces - what I understand was the previous days paras? came in from the left flank, and MarkJ (from our club) and I landed on the beach, him with Italians, me with Kreigsmarine forces, two Pz IVs and a Beutepanzer 754 (known to most as a captured Russian KV-2!).

The left flank was, it has to be said, much more successful: the Allies were hampered a bit by abysmal chit-drawing, and the German advance began to curl round the flank. On the right, our major problem was a bunch of 25pdrs firing AT over open sights and the late arrival of some irritating Matildas and A13s (peashooters for guns but annoyingly hard to kill). The KV-2 took out a couple of buildings and some dug in infantry (that 152mm is killer firing HE!), but then got plastered by the 25pdrs after they'd taken out one of the Pz IVs. The Kriegsmarine did a passable job of trying to end-around the 25pdrs, which would have gone better had I thought to keep a Pz IV on overwatch to pop off at the Cruiser coming round to support them.

Overall: a draw, but good fun.

Do I like the rules? Hrm. They seem to produce believable results, but I'm just not convinced by the game mechanisms. Admittedly I was basically adopting the 'do this, get told what to roll' approach since I've never played it before, but not all of it felt like it made sense. If no-one minds, I'll stick with IABSM for my go-to company-level WW2 rules :D

Image gallery follows.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...