Thursday 24 October 2019

Pondering Dux battles...

...was pretty much the sum total of yesterday evening's Compendium work, despite best laid plans :D

Still trying to figure out the battle section of the Compendium. As I think I've said before, I have issues with the way battles are set up: it seems all too easy with the rulebook deployment rules to end up with a battle that either takes up one narrow 2' wide strip, or is a long fight across the diagonal of the table. I also feel that a battle should be somehow more significant and memorable than just a chance meeting encounter.

There's an argument (and I'm interested in other folks' thoughts on this) that raids are about things - they’re about stealing food, or cattle, or treasure. Battles are potentially about places - they’re about taking a hill, a river crossing, a road junction, a town, that is the gateway to the territory you want to take from your enemy. Still trying to work out if there's a decent way of handling this in Dux - I sort of have one approach but I'm not 100% happy.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a system looking for ‘Teaser’ type scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Norm, it sounds like a Grant-style Tabletop Teaser deployment system would work.

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...