Friday 10 April 2015

RIP Richie Benaud 6 October 1930 – 10 April 2015

Apologies for the non-wargames content, but...

As many of you will know, I am a cricket fan: today marks the passing of one of the voices of cricket, behind only perhaps the gravelly Hampshire tones of John Arlott, and the dry, laconic Yorkshire wit of Jim Laker:. I refer, of course to the great Australian leg spinner and commentator, Richie Benaud.

Those three were the voices I grew up with, from the BBC's Sunday League coverage (watched with my grandfather) to Test Matches up and down the country. Benaud's commentary was always incisive, observant and well-informed, as befitted a former Australian test player and captain, and his delivery and accent just gave you that sense that you were in good hands. He was also a man of principle, calling time on his British commentary career when Test cricket went to Sky, as he felt that cricket should be free to air. (And for all that I have a Sky Sports subscription, I agree with him.)

Richie Benaud was a part of the soundtrack of my life. He will be missed.

3 comments:

  1. So well put. "part of the Sound track of my life" too. Sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an Aussie I have spent literally years worth of my life listening to him commentate games. He will indeed be missed

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...