Sunday 20 April 2014

Exhibition banner, and resolution

Some of you may have noticed the banner the club had up at Salute. Sadly, I don't think I managed to get a pic of it in action, but here's a very very downsized version of the original art. I got it done by eBay user sign.print.lab, who managed to go from printer-ready art to banner in my hands from UKMail inside 24 hours, which was stunningly impressive, and only £40 including p&p.

The gotcha - they want printer-ready 300dpi art, so something knocked together in Word or Paint won't cut the mustard....


Just in case you're not sure you're reading that right, that's 250MB (a quarter of a GB) and 10,000 x 24,000 pixels. Like I said, a very downsized version!

What I did discover while doing this is that I probably need a new digital camera if I'm going to make a habit of this. My ageing Canon EOS 300D only has 6MP resolution, which translates to 3000x2000 pixels, or roughly 10" x 7" at 300dpi. (Hence the montage of pictures rather than one big one!)

While my really 'arty' and dramatic figure shots tend to be taken on the Canon (because I can do depth of field tricks etc), my iPhone 4S squeaks in at 8MP, which is marginally better. I have designs on an EOS 100D, as that nets me 18MP (and also HD video, which would be handy for several things!).


2 comments:

  1. Wow that is one big file and a jolly effective banner too. What software did you use as I have photoshop CS4?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixelmator. Only available for Mac, because it makes heavy use of Apple Core Graphics libraries etc. Really nice and cheap Photoshop replacement for most of what I want - also? the 'studio' MacBook Pro has 16GB of RAM, which helps a great deal :D

      Delete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...