Sunday 6 January 2013

"Just Jane" and a story

I'm delighted to spot the BBC has been running a piece on "Just Jane", the Lancaster that Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at East Kirby maintain. She's currently certified to taxy with passengers, but they've now taken delivery of four air-certified Merlins, and the big project's on the go - making her fly again.

I had the sheer joy of going to visit the airfield with James a couple of years ago. Sadly, the taxy ride was outside my budget (though I'd really like one as a 50th present this year - pity the wife doesn't read the blog, and they're nearly booked up for the year according to @NX611_pilot on Twitter, so I may have to hint strongly...), but we did get to watch.

The video on the right is shot with my iPhone - the sound isn't ideal, but you get some kind of idea. 'Awe-inspiring' comes closest, I think.

While we were there, I got talking to a lady, Janet, who, it transpired, was the daughter of a Lancaster pilot, Jack Marsden, who crash-landed in occupied France after the raid on Mailly Le Camp and made it back to England after some hair-raising adventures. Her mother was doing the taxy ride, so I took a couple of photos for her, and she told us some of the story of her father. As James was doing a project on WW2, she promised to send him something - the resulting package arrived a couple of weeks later, containing a letter with her father's story (you can read the full story of the raid, BTW, in A Bomber Raid - Mailly Le Camp: Not Just Another Milk Run, or in shorter form on the BBC website) as well as four twisted, corroded pieces of metal.

<pictures to follow, just as soon as I find where James has put them!>

As I observed to James at the time, it's fascinating how 'just a few pieces of metal' become something much more when you know the story behind them.




1 comment:

  1. That's really something. Last year I watched a Merlin engine running (though it was for a tank not a plane) and that was very loud. Four of them at the same time must have been quite something.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...