If you're around the Bristol area, BBC History magazine are putting on a series of talks about the Vikings and WW1. They do cost £60/£70 to get in (including lunch) but they do look rather interesting.
Sat March 15 - Vikings Day:
- Janina Ramirez - The Vikings as ‘Other’: Are ‘They’ In Fact ‘Us’?
- Philip Parker - Ruling without Kings: State and Society in Viking Iceland
- Gareth Williams - Ships and Society in the Viking Age
- Dr Ryan Lavelle - Fighting the Vikings: War and Peace in Viking-Age Britain
- Judith Jesch - Treasures of the Sword-Trees: Viking Poets and Poetry
- Mark Bostridge -1914: England’s Fateful Year
- Margaret MacMillan - Accidental or Inevitable? The Outbreak of the First World War
- Dr Nick Lloyd - Hundred Days: The End of the Great War
- David Reynolds - The Long Shadow: The Great War and the Twentieth Century
- Panel debate/Q&A