Tuesday 12 March 2019

More Compendium work...


Look! Progress :D

On the good side, I've typset the weekend's rules clarifications, but they're highlit in 'check this with Rich' blue (not to be confused with 'get Rich to make his bloomin' mind up about this' red) for now.

Also worked through the Magic section (from Rich's Christmas Special 2015 article) and tightened up some wording (particularly 'may' to 'will' in various places). Note for those going 'eww, magic in a historical wargame', this isn't what you think. In fact, let me quote the Editor's (my) Note:
Before you dismiss this section based on the title as being irrelevant in the context of a historical wargame, I strongly recommend that you at least read Rich’s pre-amble. Magic, in the era we are playing in, is very definitely largely a matter of perception and belief, not necessarily actual supernatural or paranormal events. 
What the rules in this section attempt to codify is a framework in which you as a Lord can take advantage of the typical Dark Ages man or woman’s undoubted belief in things beyond the normal. 
As they say, ‘It’s all in the mind”.
If you've read Cornwell's "Winter King" trilogy you should understand the effect the rules are working for.

On the downside, just restored another couple of tables that had come adrift from their page back to where they should be, and in doing so realised that in a very Anglo-centrically wrong way, the British Isles only appear to have weather on the mainland south of the Antonine Wall (in other words, the table never got expanded for Raiders!). One to fix next.

2 comments:

  1. Having just finished Cornwell's Winter King trilogy, I'm delighted these rules will be in the Compendium! I shall now search for a long-haired, naked, hopping-on-one-leg wizard figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. I skimmed them when I first read them back when he published them, but since then I'd read Cornwell and was going back through the archives for stuff that may make the Compendium, and gave them a good read. Definitely worth including.

      I'm sure such a figure is available *somewhere* :D

      Delete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...