Monday 25 March 2019

Battle Report - 25 Mar 2019 - Rebels And Patriots

Dan Mersey's AWI to ACW ruleset based on the Lion Rampant game engine. (No photos, sorry).

Nice little AWI scenario with a balanced force - I had 12 Indians, 6 cavalry, 6 rangers, 2 lots of 12 line infantry, Chris had much the same but as Rebel militia. I had the Indians in a small village, with Chris and I approaching from opposite sides to clear or relieve them, respectively.

I definitely got the worst of it early on - my cavalry routed, and my Indians got seriously shot up, while the line were busy working up the middle and the Rangers through a field up one flank. I got to the point where I had one of four units that wasn't needing to rally, and all Chris' units were good to fire... Pretty sure I was done for, and then Chris managed to fail to activate every single unit on his side! (Which does require some pretty dismal luck.)...

I managed to rally everything, the Rangers offloaded hard on one unit of American militia, one of my line units in close order ripped through Chris' cavalry, and pretty much like that the tables were turned...

To summarise:

This is about Dan's 5th or 6th ruleset using the same core engine: essentially units are made up of 6 or 12 men, and roll 12 dice for combat against varying target numbers, needing a set number of hits to cause casualties. When a unit drops to half strength it drops to 6 dice. Everything else is just gravy :D

This and Pikeman's Lament, I think, seem to work the best. Maybe it's just my style of play, but it seems to lend itself more to musket + melee than it does earlier periods. Had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...