Monday 11 March 2019

Dyeing in the Dark Ages....

There's already a section in the Compendium on dying in the Dark Ages (as I felt the end-of-year death rules in the Dux Britanniarum main book are a bit vicious - you have about a 50% chance of surviving your 30s and 33% your 40s :D), but I spent yesterday (between watching music at the O2 again) chatting about dyeing in the Dark Ages.

Specifically, my friend Lissa has being doing a course on natural dyestuffs, and has kindly agreed to let me have some good pictures of the resulting colours and vet a section for the Compendium.


3 comments:

  1. A guide to colours used during the period would be useful. I had a bit of an advantage painting my figures for Dux B as I could draw on the knowledge of my stepdaughter, who studied archaeology in Denmark. She had hands on experience of creating and dying early medieval style garments from flax using historical methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually very excited about a chapter on dyes. Weird the rabbit holes we wargamers/amateur historians fall down eh?

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...