Tuesday 20 August 2019

Lazy US Paras in M1942 uniform

As I have noted in the past, US M1942 uniform is a sod to paint, because no-one makes the colour out-of-the-bottle, no two painters agree on how to mix it, and I'm not entirely sure everyone agrees on what colour it actually is!

With a view to a project for next year, I've had a couple more ideas... Several tests, with both Halfords ultra matt Khaki camouflage primer and Citadel's Wraith Bone, and then trying various things....

Citadel's Wraith Bone undercoat:
  • AP Monster Brown (fail even when mixed with AP Strong Tone)
  • Citadel Contrast Aggaros Dunes (too sandy, but...)
Halfords ultra matt Khaki undercoat:
  • AP Strong Tone/Military Shader in a 50/50 mix (not brown enough)
  • CC Aggaros Dunes - ahah! (thanks to Rob Avery!)
Ok. We might have something here. It's not 100% perfect, but it's really preeeeetty close.

Onwards with that then:
  • Webbing, pouches, pack etc - Vallejo Grey-Green + Strong Tone
  • Helmet, grenade, elbow and knee patches - Vallejo Brown Violet (now renamed Olive Drab) + Strong Tone
  • Jump Boots - Vallejo Red Leather + Strong Tone, although CC Gore Grunta Fur is probably better (will try that next time!)
  • Gloves - CC Nazdreg Yellow
  • Face - CC Guilliman Flesh is too dark on the Halfords primer, so I over brushed with AP Barbarian Flesh and a bit of Strong Tone
  • Rifle - AP Werewolf Fur + Warlord Dark Gunmetal
  • Shoulder Patches - AP Deep Blue, Pure Red, Matt White and a lot of prayer
Here we are. I should point out that this is a 15mm Battlefront plastic figure from the Open Fire box (not a 28!), and it took me all my lunch break with the aid of a daylight lamp and magnifier :D I shall have a crack on a metal sculpt sometime if I can find one. I may also see if I can get a better photo with my DSLR...

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing the same in 1/72 - I simply went with a base colour and then a quickshade as I am felling rather lazy.

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...