Wednesday 16 July 2014

I don't normally veer this far off tack, but...

...today is a day when I want to celebrate important things.

Today is the 45th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11, the capstone of a series of achievements that, even from this distance, must have seemed completely impossible when they were originally suggested.

I contend that this is one of mankind's greatest feats of science, engineering and sheer courage.


I give you "Fire In The Sky", written by a friend of mine (Jordin Kare, who actually IS a rocket scientist) and performed by another friend, Kristoph Klover. I am completely unashamed to admit that this song chokes me up every time.

4 comments:

  1. From the stars we came, to the stars we return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i first saw the picture in Blogger I thought it was a sculpting tool!! I jest not LOL :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first shuttle disaster. We used to watch the launches at school. On clear days in Tampa you could see a bit of the trail on those going up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember watching the launch of Apollo 11 on a tiny black and white TV in our infant school headmistress' office. The sense of wonder hasn't left me, although I do feel betrayed by the lack of political will to follow on the success.

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...