Wednesday 21 April 2021

Mike Hobbs

photo by
@Ralph_Plowman
Neil Shuck phoned yesterday evening with the dreadful news that Mike Hobbs had passed away suddenly. 

Mike started out to me as a voice on a podcast, before I got to know him properly through being invited onto Neil's madcap Edge of Empire game, and thence to being a regular contributor to Meeples and Miniatires, and ... essentially he was a friend I got to chat to every week about all manner of our favourite things. 

He was a larger than life character, funny, knowledgeable, witty and opinionated - we didn't always agree (usually about 3D printing), but I always felt he respected my and others' opinions, even when he disagreed. Mike was a generous man, both with his time and with bits of the accumulated craft of wargaming we all have if he felt you could use it more than he could. 

It's a sad loss to the gaming community in general.

Rest in piece, my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with your friends and family, and may you be in a place where Firestorm's wonky shelves only dispense ready-to-play, fresh painted games (except when you feel like painting them).

To everyone else: take care of yourselves, and each other, and make the most of the time we have. 



7 comments:

  1. What shocking and sad news- thank you for bearing this sad news to us. As you say, a loss to our community. My thoughts go out to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sad news - please pass on my condolences. I always enjoyed listening to Meeples and Miniatures with you, Mike and Neil - it was one of the highlights of my podcast-listening week. I may not have always agreed with everything that was expressed but I always enjoyed the interplay between you three, especially Mike’s genuine joy and enthusiasm for the hobby. I was always impressed by how wobbly those shelves at Firestorm were or how many Lord of the Rings minis he’d picked up that week. I’ve listened to his Epic takeover episode many, many times (which inspired me to finish collecting a properly Epic Eldar army) and feel truly saddened that there will never be the chance for any more good-natured musings.

    I never met him, but through the podcast, he was always a welcome visitor in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great loss to the war gaming community but especially to his family and friends. My condolences on your loss, he will be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad news, I was shocked when I heard it earlier today. The hobby and the community has lost a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn’t know Mike personally as you did but all the same I felt I knew him. I greatly enjoyed your interactions on Meeples and Miniatures. My deepest condolences to you and to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sad. I had the pleasure of meeting Mike at Salute a few years back. His commitment to sharing the joys of the hobby will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...